How to Excel Academically
Get Advice & Ask Questions
- Meet with an adviser at least once a semester!
- If you receive an email from the college or your department expressing concern about your progress, you are expected to respond!
- Early intervention is critical.
- ASK QUESTIONS ALONG THE WAY! It is never the wrong time or the wrong question to ask any adviser.
Manage your Time & Self-Monitor
- Create a daily, weekly, and semester plan for yourself!
- Ask yourself, "Are my study skills working for me?"
- "Is the schedule I have set for myself working?"
- "Do I know about all the resources available to me?"
Value Quality over Quantity & Work Lecture to Lecture
- Quality grades and a balanced schedule is better than taking more hours and receiving less quality grades.
- Work lecture-to-lecture not exam-to-exam. Do not let deadlines or exam dates drive your motivation and schedule. Working lecture-to-lecture will allow you to really learn the material, ask questions, and will eliminate unnecessary stress and frustration.