The University of Illinois Counseling Center is committed to serving the mental health needs of students.
This information was brought to you by Counseling Center Paraprofessionals.
Counseling Center at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
610 E John St. Champaign, IL 612820
Barriers to Academic Success
- Academic stress and pressures
- Adjusting to college life
- Test Anxiety
- Depression, stress, anxiety
- Family difficulties
- Relationship challenges
- Lack of self care
Depression: What to watch for?
- Change in sleep patterns or appetite
- Decreased ability to concentrate
- Poor hygiene
- Frequent crying spells
- Social isolation
- Verbal or written statements of a wish or intent to harm oneself
Alcohol, Drugs and Addictive Behaviors: What to watch for?
- Disruption in daily functioning due to any mind-altering substance
- Attending class or employment while under the influence
- Legal difficulties (DUI, drinking tickets)
- Overuse of internet/computers for
Anxiety: What to watch for?
- Persistent worrying
- Agitation during stressful situations such as exams
- Avoidance of social or other situations
- One or a combination of physical symptoms
- Rapid breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Stomach aches
- Muscle aches
- Sleep difficulty
General Psychological Distress: What to watch for?
- Trust your instincts!!
- Any of the previous signs/symptoms/behaviors
- Any behavior representing a dramatic/significant change from previous lifestyle
- Attendance record
- Task completion
- Life circumstance concerns (recent family death, breakup, etc.)
The Counseling Center
The Counseling Center provides the following services to help students live a more balanced life:
- Initial Appointment/Consultation
- Short term individual and couples counseling
- Group counseling
- Referrals for private therapy
- Outreach and consultation
- Alcohol and other drug assessment and counseling
- Educational Services
- Self-help brochures and materials
Location: 206 Student Service Building, 610 E John St.
Contact: (217) 333-3704
Making the Initial Appointment
To schedule an initial appointment at the Counseling Center, call (217) 333-3704 M-F from 7:50 am onward
- Same day appointments are available
- Sessions are kept confidential
Other Campus Resources
- McKinley Mental Health (217) 333-2705
- 24-hour Crisis Line: (217) 359-4141
- Rape crisis: (217) 384-4444